A New York City Birth Injury Attorney Assists Families Across New York City Who Have Been Impacted by Birth Injuries
Birth injuries are a type of medical malpractice that can have devastating consequences for children, parents, and families. The aftermath is often heartbreaking, stressful, and confusing. At Miklos Law, we are here to assist families across New York City who a birth injury has impacted. Robert A. Miklos is an experienced and tenacious New York City birth injury lawyer who helps people fight back by seeking the maximum available from those responsible for these life-changing accidents.
How Medical Malpractice Harms Babies and Mothers in New York City
Doctors and hospitals handle new births every day, but they are not immune from medical negligence that puts the health of both a baby and their mother at risk.
A New York City birth injury attorney at our firm will tell you that some of the most common injuries that happen to babies during birth include:
- Cerebral palsy: This neurological condition, which occurs in more than one out of every four children per 1,000 live births around the world, impacts motor functions like movement and eating, as well as language, vision, and learning ability.
- Developmental delay and Intellectual Disability: Children injured during at or around the time of birth due to medical malpractice may also suffer from developmental delay and intellectual disability. They may require special education, paraprofessionals, and services such as PT and OT because they are not able to develop like other children their age.
- Stillbirth: Sometimes, unfortunately, a mother may lose the pregnancy during the prenatal period or labor and delivery due to malpractice. Under these circumstances, we help recover money damages for mom’s psychological injuries and mental anguish of losing her baby.
- Placental abruption: Placental abruption occurs when the placenta detaches from the inner wall of the womb before delivery. This condition can deprive the baby of oxygen and nutrients.
- Intrauterine growth restriction: This condition occurs when a baby is not growing appropriately during the prenatal period. This condition may result in prolonged oxygen and nutrient deprivation to the baby requiring earlier delivery.
- Erb’s palsy: This is a form of brachial plexus in which nerve damage causes the baby to lose control over an arm. This can happen when the baby is injured while traveling through the birth canal.
- Infection and neonatal sepsis: Infection and neonatal sepsis of a newborn baby must be immediately recognized and treated to give the baby the best chance at avoiding permanent neurological injury.
- Respiratory distress syndrome: Sometimes, babies have difficulty transitioning from intrauterine life to life outside of the womb. Any baby born with respiratory distress or difficulty breathing after birth must be properly monitored and treated to avoid permanent neurological injury.
- Lack of oxygen: Complications during delivery that cut off or reduce oxygen to the baby can result in a wide range of injuries, such as brain damage and even death.
- Kernicterus: This medical condition can be caused by untreated jaundice and high levels of bilirubin in the baby’s blood which may cause brain damage.
- Seizures: Oftentimes children who are injured at birth may experience seizures due to the injuries sustained during the birth process.
Medical malpractice in the delivery of a child also poses a risk for mothers. Common injuries include:
- Postpartum hemorrhage: Excessive bleeding and blood loss must be treated immediately to avoid severe injury or death.
- Nerve damage: Mistakes during the birthing process can lead to permanent nerve damage and result in a wide range of related disorders.
- Vaginal laceration: Tears can result in long-term pain, as well as infertility, incontinence, and sexual dysfunction.
- Uterine rupture: Although rare, damage to the uterus can cause hemorrhaging and other problems for mothers before, during, and after delivery.
What Causes Birth Injuries in New York City?
Sadly, medical malpractice can happen in several ways and may occur at any time from when a mother first learns she is pregnant and even after she gives birth.
Prenatal care should begin as soon as a woman learns she is pregnant. Doctors are expected to assess risk factors like weight, blood pressure issues, and certain other conditions and advise women on reducing risks. They are also supposed to regularly monitor expectant mothers for gestational diabetes, preeclampsia, and other conditions that can occur during pregnancy and signs of fetal distress. Negligence and malpractice can occur in the failure to timely order or recommend delivery of the baby.
In labor, injuries can occur when doctors are negligent in not timely ordering and performing an emergency c-section when indicated or in trying to guide the baby through the birth canal.
After delivery, injuries can occur if the baby is not properly monitored or timely treated to avoid permanent neurological injury and brain damage.
We bring lawsuits on behalf of families and children that have suffered an injury at or around the time of birth. We recover money damages for the child’s pain and suffering, lost earning capcatiy, and costs of future medical care.
Speak with a New York City Birth Injury Lawyer
If you or a loved one has suffered a birth injury, Miklos Law can help you take action and seek compensation.
We are pleased to represent clients throughout New York City, including in Queens, Bronx, Brooklyn, Manhattan and Staten Island. We also serve clients in nearby counties such as Nassau County, Suffolk County and Westchester County. Contact us to schedule a free consultation with a New York City birth injury attorney. Se Habla Espanol.